Incorporating the following dietary practices and vitamin rich foods into your diet daily, may assist in reducing severity of hot flushes and night sweats, a common symptom of menopause. If menopause symptoms are not an issue for you, including the below foods will nonetheless promote overall good health and be a delicious addition to your day. And Remember, health does truly begin at the end of your fork, so dig in!
Mediterranean-Diet pattern of eating
- Including daily consumption of garlic, capsicum, mushrooms, vegetables, wholegrain cereals and legumes, moderate consumption of fish, yoghurt, cheese and milk and occasional consumption of animal protein.
Low-glycaemic index carbohydrate sources
- Slow releasing carbohydrate sources including whole grains versus refined white flour products assist in maintaining optimal blood sugar regulation. Not surprisingly, healthy blood sugar control is associated with a lower incidence of hot flushes and night sweats.
- Enjoying fibre-rich foods throughout the day may assist in relieving hot flushes by helping clear oestrogen from the body, good options include oats, chickpeas, legumes, red kidney beans, butter beans, apples, pears, broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower.
Regular Fruit Intake
- Specifically, strawberries, pineapple, melon, apricots and mango.
Low-fat and low-sugar food options
- High fat, especially trans fatty acids and high sugar intake is linked to increased incidence of hot flushes and night sweats. Opting for low-fat dairy and focusing on healthy fats including avocado may be beneficial.
Vitamin E rich foods
- Rice bran, sunflower seeds, sweet potato and almonds.
Vitamin C & Bioflavonoid rich foods
- Papaya, orange, capsicum, cauliflower, kiwi fruit, strawberries, sweet potato and broccoli.
Omega-3 fatty acids
- Salmon, sardines and walnuts.
- Mushrooms (shiitake), oily fish (trout, sardines and salmon), avocado, eggs, pork and sunflower seeds.
Fermented foods & Soy
- Tempeh, miso paste, soy beans, linseeds (flaxmeal) contain compounds which help regulate oestrogen levels.
Enjoy! Casey Dick | Passionate Dedicated Natural Nutritionist | Brisbane, Australia, Treating menopause symptoms naturally, Dietary Nutritionist