If the newly felt autumn chill has got you scrambling for some warmth, a nutrient dense and fibre rich soup is the perfect go to. The best defence against winter bugs is our immune system so feeding it to thrive is key. This includes plating up a wide range of immune supportive nutrients and antioxidants (vitamin A, zinc, coQ10, selenium, vitamin E and omega-3 fatty acids). Coupled with a good dose of probiotics and prebiotics (yoghurt, kefir, sauerkraut, miso, tempeh, beans/legumes, leek, asparagus, oat bran) should see you fighting fit all winter long.
To kick start your warmth seeking this winter, here is my Broccoli and Quinoa Soup, a definite winter saviour!
Broccoli and Quinoa Soup
- ½ cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 tbsp coconut or olive oil
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large head broccoli, chopped roughly
- ¼ head cauliflower, chopped roughly
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 100-150g rocket leaves
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 can coconut milk
- ½ cup fresh coriander leaves (or fresh herbs of choice)
- 1 tbsp coconut flakes
- Place the quinoa and 1 cup of water in a saucepan, bring to the boil, simmer until quinoa is tender and water is absorbed
- Meanwhile heat oil in a pan/pot, add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant, add leek and stir for 3-4 minutes until soft
- Stir in broccoli and cauliflower with stock
- Bring pot to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until vegetables are tender
- Add rocket leaves and herbs and simmer for 1 minute
- Pour in coconut milk and tahini, mix well
- Turn the heat off the stove, process the soup mix using a stick blender until smooth
- Divide soup amongst bowls, top with quinoa, extra coriander leaves and coconut flakes, enjoy!
Casey Dick | Passionate Dedicated Natural Nutritionist | Brisbane, Australia, Dietary Nutritionist, Healthy Body and Mind Advocate, Natural Hormone Balance & Healthy Weight Loss, Natural Skin Health, Anorexia, Eating Disorder Recovery, Orthorexia, Thyroid, Non-dieting Approach, Gut Health, Nutritionist specialises in PCOS, Why can’t I lose weight, Weight Loss Resistance